Monday, May 30, 2005

The Story of a Pussy Willow

I planted a pussy willow two years ago outside the basement widow. I like the pussy willow for its uniqueness and its elegance.

The tree grew rapidly, in two years time, it added about seven or eight feet to its height. I realized then this tree had a vast root system, when I talked the man in the nursury. He frowned and told me it was not a good idea to have a tree that close to the house. He advised me to cut it down.

"Cut it down!" I had a hard time to imagine that. The tree had so many branches and was so well balanced. I knew that I could not afford to keep the tree and let it grow contiunally. It would eventually damage the foundation of the house and the concrete patio if I didn't take care of it soon.

I felt uneasy and asked the fellows who take care of the yard to save it, but they said the tree was simply too big to be dug up and transplanted.

I told my husband to cut it as low as he could, because it was a little too big for me to cut it. He did. The tree was down and on the patio for few days. I lost sleep over the tree and was filled with remorse. I did not know how I could save the tree, especially after it had been cut.

Finally, I decided that I wanted to try something; I put it in the ground farther away from the house and put in stakes to hold it in place. I talked to the tree and wanted it to be strong and fight for its survival. I promised the tree plenty of water everyday and plenty of space to grow...

In just a few days, the bare branches started to have tiny leaves slowly coming out. Wow, there was hope! I thought. A month later, the tree made it quite nicely. It had leaves on all its branches, and it had also grown a bit. I felt such a relief and joy.

Looking back, I was surprised how I felt about the tree. I never had that much compassion for trees before. A tree is just a tree. After further reflection, I noticed that I had changed since I started to practice Falun Gong. Falun Gong's three principles, truthfulness, compassion,and tolerence, look simple and easy enough,and they, however, are quite difficult in practice. It's particularly hard for me to grasp how to replace the sentimentality in my heart with compassion.

Right now, I may still behave the same, but my heart does not feel the same way any more. It is like the pupa of a butterfly, on the surface it may not look like it has made any changes,but the metamorphosis is going on inside and continuously.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a beautiful story.
thank you for sharing it.

It does seem that studying Master Li's book 'Zhuan Falun' continually changes you and helps you to grow, just like that tree.

Thank you for that post.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home