Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Question about the book

Hi Shelley,

My opinion is that highlighting the book
is not right either.

I try to treat the book with the utmost respect.
I keep it wrapped in a padded envelope when I carry
it in my backpack.

It is an esteemed friend who has been a more trusted
and true companion than any human being could ever be.

Over time, things will make more and more sense, as you
continue to study and learn.

I have been reading the book for about 6 years now and
I still learn new things and have new understandings
pretty much daily.


Another cool thing is that I haven't been sick since I
started practicing. My friend described her bout with
colitis recently, and though sad for her suffering, I
was also glad that I don't have to go through that sort
of thing.

Anyway, I digress. I'm not sure about the sticky notes,
but in my opinion, I would not use them either.

You'll get the most out of the book by just reading it
over and over again. And paying attention. Trying to
study it like a conventional textbook or body of knowledge
seems to me to be an incorrect approach. That's just my
opinion.

So there really is no need for sticky notes or highlighting
or anything like that.

The power behind the words is what guides and teaches you,
surface level studying that we learned in school is for
surface level subjects. The Fa is vast and profound and
reveals the next level of knowledge when it sees that
you are ready.

At least, this has been my experience. Treasure what you
have and make the most of it. You will be delighted beyond
any expectation you could have as time goes by.

Talk to you later.

Dave

PS. Have you met with the other practitioners in Michigan yet?
That might be incredibly valuable to you.








--- In LearnFalunDafa@yahoogroups.com, Shelley Crawford
wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I just finished reading Zhuan Falun for the first time, and
although some
> parts seemed confusing and way over my head (mostly descriptions of
> abilities and supernormal powers), I am absolutely attracted to the
> teachings. I know I need to read the book over dozens and dozens of
times,
> but I am glad to have finished it at least once for now. I have
been
> practicing the exercises along with the multilingual DVD.
>
> Here's one question, kind of a technical one. In the section on
> enlightenment in the ninth talk, Master Li say the Zhuan Falun is
sparkling
> and precious (third eye vision) and that marking up the book is
very
> disrespectful. I've been reading on-line so far, as my hard copy of
Zhuan
> Falun has been on backorder. Does "marking" apply to yellow
highlighting as
> well? How about sticky-note bookmarks? I ask because this is just
the kind
> of thing to which I may ordinarily subject any other book that I am
> studying. I don't want to unwittingly commit any offense.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shelley C.
> Canton, Michigan









Up Thread | Message Index | View Source | Unwrap Lines Message 682 of 682 < Previous Message | Next Message >

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home